Saturday, July 4, 2009

Alicia Bay Laurel donates her mother's sculptures (a bunch of heads) to Art Queen

Yes, that's right, I admired those heads every time I visited Alicia Bay Laurel at her mother's house (Verna Lebow). Last week I went to LA to collect what was left of them after the big sale. I just found some interesting facts about my friend on wikipedia, wow, I didn't know she was on there.
More than one friend wants me to blog on my upcoming tour of North America. Thank you Michael Blackwell and Randal Black and Steve and Martha Koeppel. Here is my first blog in
a few years.
Here are more of Verna's heads inside my old 1940s handmade trailer at Art Queen. The trailer is my satellite gallery where it is fun to put goofy shows such as Verna's heads. I especially like how she puts glasses on her heads. Alicia encouraged me to add accessories to the heads, so I look forward to how this can evolve...
Here is Inky, the ferel mother kitty at Art Queen. She's so cute, isn't she? She started petting me for the first time since January, just last week! She rubs up against my leg if i am standing at my work table in my studio. We had her fixed a couple years ago and her two sons, Fluffy and Milton are still at Art Queen. Sometimes Fluffy will chase a piece of string I throw for him. That piece of string has provided hours of entertainment for both Fluffy and me.

here is inky walking away from the world famous crochet museum at art queen. Well, that is my first blog for now.
and here is a poem:

I see the bee
does the bee see me?


love

shari

4 comments:

Alicia Bay Laurel said...

My mom used to put hats on them, too. One guy had a little embroidered African hat, another one had a yamulke, and one had a Mexican sombrero. Gave the collective a festive look.

Alicia Bay Laurel said...

I meant "the collection," but, on second thought, it's fun to think of the heads as sort of cooperative group.

Shari Elf said...

maybe the collective will become interactive with people. the way someone (i'm pretty sure it was bobby furst) left 3 ceramic ducks by the gallery. they got some nice jewelry from me. one day nature participated in the interaction, after a windy day there was a small bird egg, unhatched sitting in front of one of the ducks. i loved that! the egg ended up replacing a bird egg of the same size ann magnuson had in her 30 in 30 show which got crushed.

Alicia Bay Laurel said...

Instead of eggs, the heads will probably sprout thought balloons.